The “liberal” top-down class and propaganda war on the progressive populist Bernie Sanders is something to behold. It advances at least four master narratives.
by Paul Street
Part 5 - Russia-Linkage and Other Stories
Besides these four master narratives in the “liberal” corporate media’s propaganda war on Sanders, other storylines and modes of bias deserve mention:
- the evidence-free suggestion that Bernie is also (like Trump) a “Russian asset;”
- the under-coverage of Sanders’ rallies, platform, and victories;
- the repetition of other candidates’ claims that Sanders is personally responsible for every incident of online abuse committed by those purporting to be his supporters;
- the false claim that Sanders is a friend of the National Rifle Association;
- the claim that Sanders has a big race problem (ironic since he’s the top-level candidate with by far the strongest anti-racist record and the best platform to meet the needs of the nation’s non-white citizens);
- the claim that Sanders isn’t a Democrat (he’s Caucused with Democrats in Congress since the 1990s and he’s run for president as a Democrats for the last five-plus years);
- sniping at Sanders for “not getting much done in Congress” (hardly surprising given the role of corporate lobbyists and campaign contributions in stifling progressive policy proposals in Washington);
- false claims that Sanders would be a “down-ticket” disaster for Democrats running for Congress;
- pretend shock over Sanders’ acknowledgement that there’s a Democratic Party establishment opposed to him;
- and weak analogies between Sanders and the failed British Labour Party candidate Jeremy Corbyn.
Do not be surprised if the Russia angle becomes a master narrative in coming weeks. In a hint of things to come, perhaps, MSDNC responded to early signs of Sanders’ Nevada victory by bringing on the self-described Democratic campaign “hack” James Carville, who calls Sanders “a communist,” to claim that Sanders’ triumph was pleasing to Vladimir Putin.