Skip to main content

In allowing women to drive, Saudi Arabia looks to cover its war tracks

It’s hard to go negative on such a positive and long overdue reform, but that seems to be precisely the point, as Saudi Arabia times its lifting of ban on women driving to drown a critical UN vote and ongoing financial and diplomatic woes in flood of glowing media coverage.

by Whitney Webb

On Tuesday, international corporate media outlets were abuzz with the news that the hyper-conservative kingdom of Saudi Arabia had finally lifted its ban on women drivers. A royal decree credited to King Salman was responsible for the sudden change in policy, which Prince Khaled bin Salman, the king’s son and the country’s ambassador to the U.S., called a “huge step forward.” Prior to Tuesday’s decree, Saudi Arabia was the only country in the world to have such a ban, which was often cited by critics of the regime’s human rights record.

Much of the coverage regarding the decision spoke positively of the kingdom’s human rights trajectory, asserting that “women’s rights have steadily and slowly gained ground over the years” in the kingdom and that the move was “a significant expansion of women’s rights.” The U.S. State Department and White House also spoke of the policy change in glowing terms and commended Saudi leaders for their decision. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert declined to comment on whether the Saudi kingdom needed to do more to ensure full rights for women.

In their glowing coverage, many media outlets failed to highlight that the policy change would not take immediate effect. While these outlets implied that the change would be immediate, the Saudi decree actually called for the formation of a committee that would offer recommendations within the next 30 days regarding how to potentially implement the offering of drivers licenses to women. Although the schedule may vary depending upon the recommendations of the committee, women are not expected to be able to obtain licenses until June of 2018. As policy analyst Yousef Munayyer noted, this is “far from letting women drive.”

It also remains to be seen what hurdles may be added to the granting of drivers licenses to women. For example, the committee could decide that women cannot drive alone — as women in Saudi Arabia must often be accompanied by a male relative in public, in keeping with the country’s “guardianship laws.” It could also choose to restrict licenses to women of certain socio-economic status, or restrict the licenses’ use to specific purposes. In other words, until the committee makes public its recommendations, it will be hard to know if Saudi Arabia actually lifted its blanket ban on women drivers.

Prince Salman told reporters that such limitations would not come to pass. However, his assurances were not included in the decree and his words lack the authority that has been wholly delegated to the committee.

Why suddenly “the right time”?

When Khaled bin Salman told reporters on Tuesday, regarding the recent decree, “this is the right time to do the right thing,” he certainly wasn’t kidding. Indeed, the timing of the decree could not have been more convenient for the Saudi kingdom, though the Saudi royal family made no mention of why it really was the “right time” to end its ban on women drivers.

Between now and this Friday, when the United Nation’s Human Rights Council concludes its ongoing session, the international body will vote on a resolution to decide whether or not to establish an independent, international probe into war crimes committed in Yemen.

The United Nations rights chief Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein has consistently pushed the Human Rights Council to create an independent investigation into the Saudi-led coalition’s war in Yemen, which began in March 2015. Since then, over ten thousand civilians have been killed and the Saudi’s blockade of Yemeni ports and its bombing of civilian infrastructure have led to 17 million Yemenis lacking access to clean water and food, as well as to the worst cholera epidemic in history.

The Saudi regime is clearly uncomfortable with the resolution. They have vowed to “not accept” the findings of the probe, were the resolution to pass, and have also threatened any nation that votes in favor of the probe with economic and political retaliation. Yet, now, with the international media fawning over the Saudi government’s human rights “progress,” international pressure against the kingdom may be reduced as its role in the destruction of Yemen again fades into the background.

Reform as misdirection: MBS puts on his makeup

However, the upcoming UN vote was not the only factor in prompting the headline-grabbing policy reversal. International media outlets, though they stated that the decree was signed by King Salman, consistently noted that the reform was the work of the newly-minted Saudi crown prince, Mohammad bin Salman, often referred to by the acronym MBS.

The coverage of MBS’ role in bringing about the reform – as well as his role in Saudi politics – was overwhelmingly positive. For instance, CNN stated that the lifting of the driving ban was “just the latest in a series of changes that have been rippling through Saudi Arabia since the rise of [the] 32-year-old crown prince.”

Other outlets, such as Forbes, also credited MBS with the decree as part of his “ambitious” plan to overhaul the Saudi economy by 2030, noting that the decree would ostensibly allow more women to join the workforce. The Associated Press further credited MBS for having “opened the country to more entertainment and fun.”

None of these outlets mentioned the rise of domestic dissent in Saudi Arabia, its ethnic cleansing of minorities within its borders, or its major economic woes – all of which have also occurred alongside MBS’ rise to power.

Given King Salman’s ailing health and all but confirmed senility, MBS has been calling the shots in the Saudi kingdom since he ousted the former crown prince in what some spectators likened to an internal coup. He is expected to replace his father any month now, as the corporate media has noted, meaning that he is eager to improve how he is perceived abroad and cultivate his image as a “reformer.”

However, MBS is hardly the reformer he purports to be. In fact, his past actions show him to be a dangerous warhawk prone to impulsivity and rash judgements. Prior to becoming crown prince, he was the nation’s defense minister and was largely responsible for the Saudi war in Yemen, which has drained the country’s finances, as well as for the collapse in diplomatic relations with neighboring Qatar.

He has also pushed for war with Iran. MBS has argued, for example, that diplomatic dialogue with Iran was “impossible” and even hinted at a Saudi pre-emptive strike against Iran, stating that “We won’t wait for the battle to be in Saudi Arabia. Instead, we’ll work so that the battle is for them in Iran.” Furthermore, according to other members of the Saudi royal family, MBS was allowed to ascend to the position of crown prince after accepting conditions that included “absolute obedience to the U.S. and Israel and carrying out whatever they ask him to do.”

Thus, the sudden lifting of the ban on women drivers in Saudi Arabia is likely part of a larger public relations campaign, a “dramatic” but fundamentally cosmetic gesture meant to hide the more displeasing facets of MBS’ political record as he prepares to become king. Annually, the Saudis spend millions on public relations efforts, particularly in the West, as their greatest allies are the United States and the United Kingdom.

Clearly, Prince bin Salman would much rather be viewed by the international community as the Saudi leader who championed women’s rights as opposed to the Saudi leader who started – and continues – the country’s genocidal and disastrous war against its southern neighbor, Yemen.

Source, links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WikiLeaks paper reveals US empire was becoming anxious about Venezuela adopting euro and directing exports to China

The WIKILEAKS Public Library of US Diplomacy (PlusD)holds the world's largest searchable collection of United States confidential, or formerly confidential, diplomatic communications. As of April 8, 2013 it holds 2 million records comprising approximately 1 billion words. The collection covers US involvements in, and diplomatic or intelligence reporting on, every country on earth. It is the single most significant body of geopolitical material ever published. The PlusD collection, built and curated by WikiLeaks, is updated from a variety of sources, including leaks, documents released under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and documents released by the US State Department systematic declassification review.
globinfo freexchange
A cable from March, 2008 was highlighting US concerns about the fact that the Venezuelan state oil company, PDVSA, was about to adopt euro currency for some, or even all of its oil sales.
It appears that the cable source was the US embassy in Caracas and…

Russiagate collapse shows CIA black propaganda loops are obsolete and ineffective

globinfo freexchange
In his documentary The Power Of Nightmares, Adam Curtis presents the case of William Casey, head of the CIA under Reagan administration.
As has been described previously, to persuade the President, the neoconservatives set out to prove that the Soviet threat was far greater than anyone. They would demonstrate that the majority of terrorism and revolutionary movements around the world, were actually part of a secret network, coordinated by Moscow to take over the world.
The main proponent of this theory was a leading neoconservative who was the special adviser to the Secretary of State. His name was Michael Ledeen and he had been influenced by a best-selling book called "The Terror Network". It alleged that terrorism was not the fragmented phenomenon that it appeared to be. In reality, all terrorist groups, from the PLO to the Baader-Meinhof Group in Germany and the provisional IRA, all of them, were a part of coordinated strategy of terror run by the Soviet…

Arrest of Julian Assange: the last remaining leaf of the fascist neoliberal regime drops - we are now at war

globinfo freexchange
What other proof would you need to convince yourself that we already live under a global-scale fascist regime whose headquarters are located in the US evil empire?
This is a war against real journalism. It is a direct threat against all the independent media with real journalists who expose the war crimes of the empire and its allies. After this, expect an ongoing, brutal hunt against every real journalist who will attempt to report the truth, contrary the corporate PR parrots of the mainstream media - the golden operatives of the establishment, who faithfully stick to the script.
The utter joke of 'anti-establishment' Donald Trump collapsed from his first day in the US presidency, but now, its repulsive ugliness has been revealed gloriously. While Donnie was actually praising WikiLeaks before his election, he now said that "I know nothing about Wikileaks. It's not my thing".

"I know nothing about Wikileaks. It's not my thing" says …

A message for the worst liberal establishment ever: don't you dare harm Julian Assange

by system failure
The neoliberal clowns of the Western mainstream media increasingly shed crocodile tears about what they consider 'fake news' and the rise of the far right.
The hypocrisy and absurdity of the whole thing will make you laugh loud. Because these are the PR agents of the corporations behind the mainstream media who brought us Trump and the far right.
These are the cheerleaders of endless wars, and in fact, the only time they supported Trump was when he bombed Syria.
This is the ugly face of the establishment that pretends to be the gatekeeper of 'real news', while everyone else is 'fake news'. It doesn't matter if they work 24 hours a day to brainwash you with BS neoliberal and pro-war propaganda. You know, just to maintain this awful status in favor of their super-wealthy bosses.
It's not new. They did it for decades and it worked. People back then were like blind rats whose sole information was coming from the mainstream media. There were n…

The ruthless neo-colonialists of 21st century

by system failure
The start of current decade revealed the most ruthless face of a global neo-colonialism. From Syria and Libya to Europe and Latin America, the old colonial powers of the West tried to rebound against an oncoming rival bloc led by Russia and China, which starts to threaten their global domination.
Inside a multi-polar, complex terrain of geopolitical games, the big players start to abandon the old-fashioned, inefficient direct wars. They use today other, various methods like brutal proxy wars, economic wars, financial and constitutional coups, provocative operations, 'color revolutions', etc. In this highly complex and unstable situation, when even traditional allies turn against each other as the global balances change rapidly, the forces unleashed are absolutely destructive. Inevitably, the results are more than evident.
Proxy Wars - Syria/Libya
After the US invasion in Iraq, the gates of hell had opened in the Middle East. Obama continued the Bush legacy of US …

Tulsi Gabbard bravely defends Julian Assange on a US deep state platform

Here is another proof that she, or Jill Stein, should be the next US president if we want to escape from the fascist neocon/neoliberal regime - sorry Bernie, but your silence is very disturbing
globinfo freexchange
Many progressives feel extremely disappointed for the fact that the only 2020 Democrat progressive candidate who clearly defended one of the few remaining real journalists against the neocon/neoliberal fascist regime, is Tulsi Gabbard.
We still hope that Bernie Sanders will eventually take a clear position in favor of Julian Assange.
Nevertheless, in dark times like the one we are experiencing, things become more clear. We can see who is the one that will defend bravely the interests of the people against the totalitarian complex of Wall Street, corporate cabal and US deep state.
Tulsi Gabbard, and of course Jill Stein, are the best options right now for the 2020 US presidency, if we really want to see a radical change for the benefit of the American people and the world.

Arres…

Bernie Sanders has just put the Wall Street/corporate lobbyists and their DNC proxies into panic mode - expect an all-out war

globinfo freexchange
Bernie Sanders campaign announced something extraordinary for the US political standards. It has raised $18.2 million from just under 900,000 individual donations since launching 41 days ago!
As commondreamsreported:
Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign announced Tuesday that it raised $18.2 million from just under 900,000 individual donations since launching 41 days ago.
Sanders' first quarter haul tops all other 2020 Democratic candidates who have reported their fundraising totals. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) raised $12 million in the first quarter, and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg raised $7 million.
Faiz Shakir, Sanders' campaign manager, said during a press call that 88 percent of the donations were $200 or less, and the average donation was $20.
The profession with the most donors to Sanders' campaign was teachers, according to Shakir.
In total, 525,000 individuals donated to Sanders' campaig…

US military attack on Venezuela mulled by top Trump advisors and Latin American officials at private DC meeting

Away from the public eye, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank hosted a top-level, off-the-record meeting to explore US military options against Venezuela.
by Max Blumenthal
Part 1
The Washington, DC-based think tank the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) hosted a private roundtable on April 10 called “Assessing the Use of Military Force in Venezuela.” A list of attendees was provided to The Grayzone and two participants confirmed the meeting took place. They refused to offer any further detail, however.
Among the roughly 40 figures invited to the off-the-record event to discuss potential US military action against Caracas were some of the most influential advisors on President Donald Trump’s Venezuela policy. They included current and former State Department, National Intelligence Council, and National Security Council officials, along with Admiral Kurt Tidd, who was until recently the commander of US SOUTHCOM.
Senior officials from the C…

Juan Guaido confesses being behind the sabotage of Venezuela’s electric system

Translated from the Spanish by Global Research
A confession from [America’s] puppet pointing to evidence,” said journalist Gustavo Villapol Wednesday, noting that the deputy of the National Assembly in contempt Juan Guaidó confessed to be behind the attacks perpetrated against the National Electric Service (SEN) that have affected the Venezuelan people since last March 7.
The gentleman, Deputy Guaidó, has told the world that they are behind this devious and terrorist attack against the Electric System,” he said during an interview on the Punto de Encuentro program broadcast by Venezolana de Televisión.
[These are the quotations from Guaido’s statements at the National Assembly, video below 13′ 11″ – 14′ 09″, GR editor]
And I repeat, the cessation of darkness will definitely come with the cessation of usurpation,” culminates the self-proclaimed Juan Guaidó (VTV Fotogram)
There will be no solution to the electrical problem, there will be no water to the houses much less domestic gas”…

Assange’s arrest will massively backfire – further expose ‘Democratic West’ as harbingers of global police-state

by Don DeBar
The arrest of Wikileak’s Julian Assange will, in the long term, do more to expose the real nature of the so-called democratic West than 100 document dumps could ever do.
It has exposed the following:
Freedom of the press is non-existent in the US and EU. Should one publish materials exposing criminal activity by the powerful, that publisher – not the powerful criminal who has been exposed – will be criminally prosecuted.
The idea of an independent judiciary is farcical – the on-again/off-again nature of the charges in the Swedish courts, as well as the Torqmada-esque secret proceedings in the US which are certainly driving them, show that prosecutions can target and be controlled across borders to exact political vengeance.
Elections in the west are a farce, and the US meddles in these in the same way Kasparov ‘meddles’ with a chess board.
Lenin Moreno was elected to continue the program of his predecessor – and primary supporter before the election – former president of Ecuad…