A power hungry president has kicked a power player out of office, and the mainstream media is having a field day. Headlines have obsessively focused on Trump’s termination of FBI Director James Comey and the implications that come with it, drawing comparisons to Richard Nixon’s Watergate scandal and questioning Trump’s decision to fire the man who was leading an investigation into the president’s own alleged misconduct.
While the drama currently unfolding will certainly have profound implications for the present and future, the theatrics playing out on telescreens around the country are hardly representative of the bigger picture in the United States. As millions of Americans fix their eyes and minds on the ongoing developments, other stories are lurking behind the curtain — and reveal far more about the struggles we face.
Though they have received some coverage from corporate and establishment outlets, these stories are being forced out of the conversation by round-the-clock coverage of political figureheads warring in Washington.
Here are five to follow:
- The Pentagon is seeking a troop increase in Afghanistan after 16 years of repeating that exact mistake
- FDA-approved drugs come with rampant safety hazards
- The Dakota Access Pipeline Has Already Sprung a Leak
- Cop Sues After Being Fired for Not Shooting a Suicidal Man
- NSA continues warrantless mass surveillance of millions of Americans